In this article we are going to try and help you remove Securesurf.biz and the Toolbar it creates. Our instructions cover all Windows versions as well as most browsers – Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer etc.
Browser hijackers are programs that could be able to change your browsers once they infect your PC. The way they may modify your Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Explorer or any other browser, might include setting a completely new default search engine, toolbar and homepage, changing their settings and making them redirect you to web pages you have never intended to load; or producing so many pop-up ads that your screen becomes completely covered by them. The program we will thoroughly be discussing below, Securesurf.biz, belongs to that software family and may do exactly the activities we have described above. For more specific and general details, read the whole article below.
Browser hijackers – purpose, characteristic features and expected consequences
Essence of this type of software and what it could do to your system: The programs from this group do exactly as described in the paragraph above. They may only infect your system in order to alter the settings of your browsers. What else you might expect from Securesurf.biz is to thoroughly research your browsing history in order to generate only ads that will suit your preferences. Also, sometimes the great generation of pop-up and banner ads might become the reason for a complete slowdown of your PC, which might especially be the case with older and weaker machines. Nothing malicious or really dangerous is typical of Securesurf.biz and the other similar programs from its family.
Why do developers create hijackers? This kind of software could only have marketing purposes. The biggest aim of such programs is to advertise diverse products, web pages, search engines, and whatever you can think of. That is why Securesurf.biz might show all the qualities mentioned above. Really, you have nothing to worry about; hijackers have never performed anything illegal or dangerous.
What differentiates Securesurf.biz from the most hazardous viruses? How can you be sure it is not a virus? While viruses like Ransomware and Trojans DO damage your system and cause you harm, hijackers could never do that. For instance, in case you are experiencing a Ransomware infection, all of the files you regularly use are in a serious danger as this malware tends to lock them up and demand ransom in exchange for them. In case the infection is Trojan-caused, on the other hand, you can expect a variety of problems including identity theft, data destruction, file corruption, system crashes and so on. Now that you are aware of the kind of program Securesurf.biz really is, it is time to discuss the ways it may get distributed.
Where you may come across Securesurf.biz
The most popular sources of ad-generating software like hijackers are the following ones: torrents, shareware, spam and software bundles. These bundles are actually mixtures of various games, apps, different versions of Adware, some hijackers and some newly developed programs. You can download such a bundle practically everywhere on the web. However, it is not the download of such a bundle that causes the contamination, it is the way you handle such a software combo that does. All bundles as well as all the software you download from somewhere on the Internet should be carefully installed to avoid all irritating and all the really damaging contaminations. There is only one way of installing any program or bundle right, and it is by doing as follows:
- Always go with the Advanced feature when the wizard is displayed. Sometimes this option can also be called Custom – it doesn’t matter. What matters is that this feature allows you to install your bundle and manually choose what to leave behind and what to incorporate into your system. It is very important that you remember that and use this option whenever you can to avoid all kinds of contamination.
More tips about avoiding Securesurf.biz
What else you can do is to install the best anti-virus program you can find. Most of the good ones have Internet security as well included in them and in this way the program will warn you when you are about to load an infected or suspicious page. Also, do not click on any pop-ups that you come across on the Internet, as this may also infect your browser and it could get completely covered up in ads. To remove this hijacker, you should closely follow the steps in the removal guide below. They are designed to help you deal with this irritating program and its redirects, alterations and ads.
Securesurf.biz Toolbar Removal
Many types of malware will restrict your access to their core files. It is highly recommended that you reboot your PC in safe mode before attempting to use this guide.
- To enable Safe Mode reboot you PC, then hit F8 repeatedly. When the corresponding menu opens please select Safe Mode with Networking.
WARNING! If you are using Windows 8,0 or later and/or your operating system is installed on a fast SSD drive this may fail to work. In this case click here to see how to start your PC in Safe Mode.
#1: Uninstall the malicious program from your control panel
Enter control panel to look for any suspicious programs, which may have installed on your PC. To do that:
- Navigate to your Desktop
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type appwiz.cpl
- Go through the list of programs and find Securesurf.biz or anything else that may seem suspicious. Right-click on it and choose the uninstallation option
WARNING! Carefully read any confirmation messages that may be created in the process. Sometimes you may get offers to download more Adware applications and this can be linked to either the Yes or the No answer depending on the wording!
Go through the list of programs again and check online for any potentially unwanted programs. We have an article that covers this awesome free software that makes sure that your computer is free from bloatware and programs that you don’t need.
#2: Remove Securesurf.biz From Chrome
Now we’ll remove the extensions that the malware has attached to your browser.
- Open your Google Chrome browser.
- Type chrome://extensions/ in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on “Developer Mode” on the top right and look for the extension installed by Securesurf.biz and anything that might be related to it. Copy their IDs (the string of letters), then remove them by clicking on the trash bin icon.
- Type Regedit in the Windows Start Menu and press Enter. Go in : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions and delete the entries corresponding to the suspicious IDs you recorded.
#3: Remove Securesurf.biz From Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:support” in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on the “Refresh Firefox” button on the right and confirm.
#4 Remove Securesurf.biz From Internet Explorer
- Open your Internet Explorer internet browser.
- Click on the Gear icon on the up right, then on manage add-ons.
- Go through the list disable any suspicious extensions.
#5 Remove any leftover parasitic processes
From the task manager:
- Use Ctrl + Shift + Esc and open the Task manager, then click on the Processes
- Go through the list of processes and look for unknown or otherwise suspicious entries.
- If you see anything suspicious right click on the process and shoes Open File Location, then terminate the process and delete any files you find in the directory.
WARNING! If the directory you open from this menu has no files inside of it it’s probably because the malware has hidden them. You need to reveal hidden files and folders in order to be able to see them. Click here if you don’t know how to do that.
From the start menu:
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type msconfig
- Click on the Startup tab.
This menu controls which programs are loaded when windows starts after a reboot. Disable anything that seems suspicious. Optionally you can also disable any program that you don’t need and also has a high impact on your startup time.
Feel free to write to us in the comment section with any questions that you may have. Also if we have been helpful to you please share this article to help us reach more people like you.