In this article we are going to try and help you remove .Sage File Virus. Our instructions cover all Windows versions.
.Sage File Virus is a true manifestation of online harassment – as any other typical Ransomware, it does sneak into your PC without your permission and knowledge, then it puts its evil plan to encrypt the files you usually visit into action. At the end of the whole process, your favorite data is encoded and a notification asking you to pay a ransom in return for it pops up on your screen.
Where does .Sage come from?
Ransomware as a whole was originally developed in Russia in the late 80’s of the last century. At first there appeared to be two distinct types of Ransomware. The first one did not actually encrypt any data; it was used only for scaring its victims, because it used to display the harassment notification on their screens. The second type is the one that still targets users around the world today – the one that really encodes your files and then requires you to pay a given amount of money in exchange for regaining control over them. Truly, we can say that Ransomware is a type of malware that causes awfully much harm to your PC.
What makes .Sage so dangerous and terrifying?
- Ransomware in general cannot enter your computer on its own. For this purpose it exploits another virus – a Trojan. Typically, you can catch these two from everywhere on the web – a spam email, a torrent, an infected website or a program bundle. The Trojan finds a vulnerability, from where this awful malware duo infiltrates your machine. From the point of getting in, these two buddies separate and each of them continues according to its own plan. The Ransomware, in your case .Sage, starts with defining and compiling a detailed list of the most used data and begins to make it inaccessible to you. These actions are followed by the appearance of the ransom-demanding alert message on your monitor. The Trojan, on the other hand, hides somewhere in your system and goes on acting according to the way it has been programmed to. Usually, Trojans are used for spying on you, copying important data and credentials and stealing something from you, however, you can never be sure what exactly they aim to do to you before they in fact do it. Honestly, there is nothing in the cyber world more dangerous than this incredible malware combination.
- .Sage is so terrifying also because no guarantee could be given to you that even if you complete the required payment, your locked up files will be made accessible to you again. That may never happen. There are many dishonest hackers, whose only goal is to extort money from you and they do not plan to decrypt your files at all.
- The worse news when it comes to this Ransomware is not that paying the ransom doesn’t make sure your data will be decoded. It’s actually the fact that even the removal of the virus doesn’t equal decryption of the files. Nothing and no one might be able to help you truly defeat this kind of malware. Even experts might find it difficult to fight such a virus. Whatever you decide to do, it will be a great risk in terms of your encrypted data.
What could be done to bring your files back?
We can only give you our own advice and opinion, which will not necessarily save your system from .Sage. From our point of view, you had better first try to remove this virus before sending any money to the people who have been cruel enough to infect your PC and then blackmail you for ransom. Do everything that is up to you – ask an expert for advice, read about other affected users’ experience in forums and specialized groups. Even invest in specialized software against such threats. Also, at the end of this page you will find a Removal Guide that will assist you in removing .Sage, again with no guarantees of decrypting the blocked files. If nothing of these works, you can thing about completing the ransom payment.
Back-up is the only real solution
By far the only working solution against Ransomware as a whole and .Sage in general is to learn to back up your files. This is what will truly save you from such malicious infections, as when you have copies, you will just delete the virus and not care about the consequences to your encoded files.
.Sage File Virus Removal
Enter Windows Safe mode.
- Win 7 Users: Restart your PC –> keep on clicking F8 –> In the subsequent Menu select Safe Mode with Networking.
- Win 8 Users: Start Button –> Control Panel –> System and Security –> Administrative Tools –> System Configuration –> In the subsequent Menu select Safe Boot –>
- Win 10 users: Start Menu –> Power Options Menu –> Hold down the SHIFT button while clicking on Restart –> Troubleshoot –> Advanced Options –> Startup Settings –> Restart –> In the subsequent Menu select Safe Mode with Networking.
Open Task Manager and locate any processes associated with .Sage.
- Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC keys simultaneously –> Processes Tab –> Select a suspicious process (use Google or ask us in the comments if you are not sure about a process) –> Right Click and Open File Location –> End the suspicious process in Task Manager –> Delete the Folders containing the suspicious files.
Open the Registry Editor and search for .Sage.
- Win 7 Users: Click Start and type regedit –> Enter –> Press CTRL + F buttons –> Type Cryp1 Virus in the search field.
- Win 8/10 users: Start Button –> Choose Run –> type regedit –> Enter Press CTRL + F buttons –> Type .Sage in the search field.
Try to recover your files. First you will need System Restore.
- Win 7 Users: Start button –> Type Windows System Restore –> Enter –> Open System Restore –> Select a Restore Point and revert to it.
- Win 8 Users: Hold down the Windows key + Q –> Type Recovery –> Settings –> Choose the Recovery icon –> Open System Restore –> Select a Restore Point.
- Win 10 Users: Start Menu –> Power Options Menu –> Hold down the SHIFT button while clicking on Restart –> Troubleshoot –> Advanced Options –> System Restore –> Select a Restore Point and apply it.
Secondly use program that can access your Shadow Copies.
- Use Google to find the official website of such a program and download it.
- Use the program to select the file types and the hard drive locations you want the program to scan for.
- Start the scan and keep in mind that it might take a while.
- Once the scan has been completed just select the files you want to be recovered.
If you have questions or suggestions feel free to use our comments section!