Welcome, reader, to our CHELFNOTIFY “Virus” removal guide. The following instructions will aid you in removing the unwanted software from your PC.
Are you tired of overly-intrusive online adverts? We have a solution for you!
It has happened to all of us – we open our Firefox or Chrome browser in an attempt to watch some video or read a certain article and then, all of a sudden, a big banner or pop-up ad gets displayed on our screen, covering nearly everything. Unfortunately, situations like this one are getting more and more frequent with the rapid growth of the online marketing industry. There’s just so much money involved there, that everyone seeks to exploit this way of earning revenue. However, it is one thing to integrate ads within your site that users see when they visit it and a whole other thing to force those ads onto people’s computers. Sadly, this is exactly what happens when a program called CHELFNOTIFY finds its way inside your machine. Once this happens, as long as the programs stays active, you wouldn’t be able to get rid of the endless barrage of rage-inducing ads flooding your browser, regardless of what site you are visiting. In fact, CHELFNOTIFY is only one of a myriad of similar applications that have the single purpose of generating and displaying various kinds of ads for the browsers of the infected computer. The good news is that it is fairly easy to handle such a situation and in this article we will show you exactly how you can do that.
Are Adware programs capable of harming your PC?
Many victims of CHELFNOTIFY have been asking that same question and if you are one of those unfortunate users, who have had their PC invaded by this intrusive software, know that there’s no need to worry. Adware programs are not viruses, despite what some people might think. A malicious virus like a Trojan Horse or Ransomware is an illegal piece of software that is able to cause serious problems if it gets inside your system. For example, the infamous Ransomware can lock up your files and ask you to pay ransom if you wish to regain your access to them. A Trojan virus can steal money from your online bank accounts, spy on you or even destroy your whole system, rendering the computer unusable. Adware, on the other hand, cannot do any of this. For the most part, CHELFNOTIFY is simply an annoyance to have around and nothing more. Sure, it might appear as something dangerous, but in most cases it looks scarier than it really is. Therefore, there is no need for panic. All you have to do is keep on reading and learn how to deal with the bothersome program.
Why you should remain cautious
Yes, we said that Adware programs are for the most part harmless; however, our advice for you, the readers, is to remain careful with software of this kind. Though the program itself presents no threat to your machine, some of its adverts might turn out to contain certain hazards. Therefore, make sure that you stay away from them and no matter how appealing some of them might seem, avoid clicking on them. As a matter of fact, CHELFNOTIFY might actually examine your browsing history in order to figure out your personal interests and preferences so that it could later generate adverts that may appear more attractive to you. This is yet another reason why you need to get rid of the invasive program and below this article, we will show you how to do that with our Adware removal guide. Just remember to read our final paragraph that will teach you how to prevent any future Adware infections after you have dealt with the current issue.
Learn how to keep CHELFNOTIFY away from your machine
Removing Adware is important, but it is even more important to keep such programs out of your system afterwards. Therefore, you need to have a good idea of how they get there in the first place. When it comes to Adware distribution, there are quite a few techniques used for that. Some of them include the program being sent to you via a spam e-mail or you downloading it on your PC by clicking some deceptive hyperlink. Torrent files are also a common method for spreading such programs. However, in most cases the pitfall for most people seems to be file bundles. With this scheme, Adware is combined with some other piece of software that some users might want to install. If that other program is installed through the Quick installation settings, the intrusive add-on would get in as well. That is why you should always utilize the custom/advanced configuration settings. Those enable you to see and uncheck whatever added content you might consider unwanted. Once you’ve made sure that everything suspicious has been left out, you should be safe to continue with the installation of the main program.
CHELFNOTIFY “Virus” Removal
I – Uninstallation
- Use the Winkey+R keyboard combination, write Control Panel in the search field and hit enter.
- Go to Uninstall a program under Programs.
- Seek the unwanted software, select it and then click on Uninstall
- If you are unable to spot CHELFNOTIFY, search for any unrecognized programs that you do not remember installing on your PC – the unwanted software might disguise itself by going under a different name.
II – Safe mode and revealing hidden files
III – Cleaning all your browsers
- Go to your browser’s icon, right-click on it and select Properties.
- Go to the Shortcut tab and in the Target make sure to delete anything written after “.exe”.
- Now, open your browser and follow the instructions below depending on whether you are using Chrome, Mozilla or IE.
- Chrome users:
- Go to your browser’s main menu located in the top-right corner of the screen and select Settings.
- Scroll down, click on Show Advanced Settings and then select Clear browsing data. Just to be sure, tick everything and clear the data.
- Now, in the left pane, go to Extensions and look through all extensions that are integrated within your browser. If you notice any suspicious add-on, disable it and then remove it.
- Firefox users:
- Similarly to Chrome, go to the main menu and select Add-ons and then Extensions.
- Remove any suspicious browser extensions that you may have even if they do not have the name CHELFNOTIFY on them.
- IE users:
- Go to Tools and select Manage add-ons.
- Click on all add-on types from the left pane and check if there is anything suspicious in the right panel. In case you find anything shade, make sure to remove it.
IV – Removing Shady processes
- Go to your start menu, type Task Manager in the search field and from the results open View running processes with Task Manager.
- Thoroughly look through all processes. The name CHELFNOTIFY might not be there, but if you notice any shady looking process that consumes high amounts of memory it might be ran by the unwanted program.
- If you spot the process ran by CHELFNOTIFY, right-click on it, open its file location and delete everything in there. Then go back to the Task Manager and end the process.
V – DNS check
- In the start menu search box write View Network Connections and open the first result.
- Right-click on the network connection you are using and go to Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
- If Obtain DNS server addresses automatically is not checked, check it.
- Go to Advanced and select the DNS If there is anything in the DNS server addresses field, remove it and click OK.
- Click OK on the rest of the opened windows.