Welcome to our Want To Cry Virus removal guide. The following instructions will aid you in removing the unwanted software from your PC for free.
Most of the PC users usually store their important files on their computers. However, they often forget to back it up in another location such as external drive or a cloud and this way, they easily can turn into pray for one very nasty type of malware known as Ransomware. This malware uses a special file encryption algorithm to block the access to any files, found on the infected computer, and then blackmail the users to pay ransom if they want to regain their access. One of the latest infections of this type is called Want To Cry Virus and if your data has been rendered inaccessible by this malicious encryption, then in the next lines we will try to help you counteract it.
How can Want To Cry Virus infect you and what harm it does to your machine?
If Want To Cry Virus has attacked your computer, you should know that you are dealing with a very tricky and problematic cryptovirus. Having such an infection on your machine generally means, that you probably have some serious vulnerability in your system. A threat of this type can get inside the computer in a very stealthy way either by using a Trojan horse or an exploit kit, or through some well camouflaged malware transmitters such as ads, emails with infected attachments, torrents, shady installers, misleading links, downloads from non-reputed software sources, pirate content or virus-inflicted web pages. What is really tricky is that in the moment of contamination and even during the attack, it is almost impossible for the victims to spot the Ransomware. They usually come to know about the malicious encryption and its consequences only after it has already rendered all the files inaccessible. Not much of visible signs can give the threat away and in most of the cases, even the antivirus software may fail to detect it. This makes Want To Cry Virus very hard to spot in time and prevent its harmful effects.
Unlike the other types of malware like Trojans or other viruses who try to remain hidden for as much as possible, however, once the file encryption process is completed, Want To Cry Virus reveals its presence with a scary ransom note right on the screen. From then on, the hackers, who control it, come into play and start to blackmail the affected user to pay ransom if he wants to decrypt his files. They usually promise to send a decryption key, which can bring all the encrypted data back to normal, if the victim strictly fulfills all of their demands, but in practice, there is no guarantee for that.
What to do if you have been attacked?
If you are currently being blackmailed and threatened by short deadlines and shocking ransom messages, the first thing you should do is to resist the urge to act impulsively. The hackers rely on your disinformation and fear to make you pay as soon as possible, but the security experts alarm that this is the worst course of action. In a case of a Ransomware attack, one should first inform itself well about all the possible options to counteract the infection and at least give a try to what is available, before risking money by paying ransom to unscrupulous hackers. There is no way to know whether the criminals, who are blackmailing you, would really send you the decryption key for your files, even if you fulfill all of their demands. That’s why it is a far less risky course of action to try some alternatives first. The removal and potential file-restoration guide below is one of them. If you give it a try, you may be able to successfully remove Want To Cry Virus from your PC. This will rid you of the malware, however, we must inform you that there is a chance the encryption, which has been applied to your files, may remain even after the Ransomware has been removed. In such a case, you would still need to deal with the code, which is not an easy task, but in the guide below we have done our best to provide you with all the possible free methods to handle the consequences of the malicious encryption. Unfortunately, we cannot tell you exactly how effective the instructions will be in your particular case because each and every Ransomware case is different. But still, you can at least remove the nasty malware and give the file-restoration steps a try. If you manage to clean your system effectively, you can also try to recover some of your data from a backup copy, if you keep any. In fact, this is the best way to secure your valuable files and handle an eventual Ransomware attack with almost no harmful consequences and no data loss!
Want To Cry Virus Removal
Here is what you need to do in order to remove a Ransomware virus from you computer.
I – Reveal Hidden files and folders and utilize the task manager
- Use the Folder Options in order to reveal the hidden files and folders on your PC. If you do not know how to do that, follow this link.
- Open the Start Menu and in the search field type Task Manager.
- Open the first result and in the Processes tab, carefully look through the list of Processes.
- If you notice with the virus name or any other suspicious-looking or that seems to consume large amounts of memory, right-click on it and open its file location. Delete everything in there.
- Make sure that the hidden files and folders on your PC are visible, else you might not be able to see everything.
- Go back to the Task Manager and end the shady process.
II – Boot to Safe Mode
- Boot your PC into Safe Mode. If you do not know how to do it, use this guide/linked/.
III – Identify the threat
- Go to the ID Ransomware website. Here is a direct link.
- Follow there in order to identify the specific virus you are dealing with.
IV – Decrypt your files
- Once you have identified the virus that has encrypted your files, you must acquire the respective tool to unlock your data.
- Open your browser and search for how to decrypt ransomware, look for the name of the one that has infected your system.
- With any luck, you’d be able to find a decryptor tool for your ransomware. If that doesn’t happen try Step V as a last ditch effort to save your files.
V – Use Recuva to restore files deleted by the virus
- Download the Recuva tool. This will help you restore your original files so that you won’t need to actually decrypt the locked ones.
- Once you’ve downloaded the program, open it and select Next.
- Now choose the type of files you are seeking to restore and continue to the next page.
- When asked where your files were, before they got deleted, either use the option In a specific location and provide that location or choose the opt for the I am not sure alternative – this will make the program look everywhere on your PC.
- Click on Next and for best results, enable the Deep Scan option (note that this might take some time).
- Wait for the search to finish and then select which of the listed files you want to restore.