In this article we are going to try and help you remove Searchpause.com “Virus”. Our instructions cover all Windows versions as well as most browsers – Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer etc.
Searchpause.com is one of the latest browser hijacker variants and has been the reason for many complaints since the day it was released. We’ve received several ourselves, asking us to provide instructions on how to deal with this problem and explain more about its nature, specifically ” como eliminar searchpause.com “. If this is the first time you’ve encountered a hijacker, you may have found yourself a bit confused or even startled by the changes it had introduced to your online experience. These programs are known for altering your Chrome/Firefox/etc. browser settings, which results in page redirects, a new homepage and default search engine that simply won’t go away, no matter what you do. Our removal guide has all the necessary steps you need to take in order to remove the invasive software and restore your browser settings back to their previous state.
What browser hijackers specialize in?
Browser hijackers and Searchpause.com in particular are online advertising tools – nothing more, nothing less. There’s a common stereotype that sets programs of this type in the virus category, but that’s from lack of knowledge on the topic. The numerous popups, banners, box messages and other ads are the sole purpose of Searchpause.com’s existence, as based on their numbers as well as the number of the times those ads get clicked by users like you, the hijacker developers earn revenue. This is the so-called Pay-Per-Click or PPC scheme at work. However, there are certain aspects to this kind of ad-generating software that do cast a shadow over its reputation and add to the conclusions of it being malicious. So, to summarize a bit – Searchpause.com is not a Virus.
For example, the way these programs are designed to target separate users in the aim of gaining more profit is rather questionable to many. Browser hijackers are notorious for their capabilities to look into one’s browsing patterns and record things like search queries, browsing history, content posted on social media, etc. All this information gives the program the necessary insight into the user’s interests and can therefore help it display on that specific user’s screen only the ads that match their preferences. This will ensure a higher number of clicks, as people will obviously be more prone to clicking on an ad that’s promoting a product or service they’re already interested in, as opposed to something random. The point of concern here is most apparently the matter of privacy. Very few people are actually comfortable knowing some strange program has access to their browsing activities, especially given the fact that this data can be later sold to third parties and the user in question will most probably not be informed.
Another thing about browser hijackers is the indirect risk of landing an actual virus, such as ransomware. Ransomware is most effectively distributed with the help of fake ads, known as malvertisements. Cyber criminals take advantage of different online ads and inject them with the malicious payload, which once clicked on by an unsuspecting victim, is automatically downloaded onto their PC. Putting two and two together, it’s easy to see how the multitude of ads and the danger of those ads being infected by hackers can become a threat. And another important aspect to programs like Searchpause.com is the way they get installed on people’s computers. More often than not affected users have no idea where the invasive software came from in the first place, which undoubtedly also adds to its bad image.
The installation process
You can end up contracting a hijacker from various shady locations, such as open source download platforms and other not-particularly-trustworthy file sharing sites. Spam emails are also a likely source, but the most cases of infection occur through program bundles that are most commonly distributed for free. The tricky bit about bundles is that they aren’t always advertised and when you think you’re downloading a certain program, you’re actually downloading a whole package of programs. There’s a simple way to avoid falling in such traps and that’s by customizing the installation settings of any new software. All you need to do is choose the advanced/custom installation option in the wizard and the contents of the bundle will be disclosed to you, whereas you will also be given the opportunity to deselect any and all of them, if you don’t want to have them integrated with your machine.
So, on to the ” como eliminar searchpause.com ” part.
Remove Searchpause.com “Virus”
Many types of malware will restrict your access to their core files. It is highly recommended that you reboot your PC in safe mode before attempting to use this guide.
- To enable Safe Mode reboot you PC, then hit F8 repeatedly. When the corresponding menu opens please select Safe Mode with Networking.
WARNING! If you are using Windows 8,0 or later and/or your operating system is installed on a fast SSD drive this may fail to work. In this case click here to see how to start your PC in Safe Mode.
#1: Uninstall the malicious program from your control panel
Enter control panel to look for any suspicious programs, which may have installed on your PC. To do that:
- Navigate to your Desktop
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type appwiz.cpl
- Go through the list of programs and find Searchpause.com or anything else that may seem suspicious. Right-click on it and choose the uninstallation option
WARNING! Carefully read any confirmation messages that may be created in the process. Sometimes you may get offers to download more Adware applications and this can be linked to either the Yes or the No answer depending on the wording!
Go through the list of programs again and check online for any potentially unwanted programs. We have an article that covers this awesome free software that makes sure that your computer is free from bloatware and programs that you don’t need.
#2: Remove Searchpause.com From Chrome
Now we’ll remove the extensions that the malware has attached to your browser.
- Open your Google Chrome browser.
- Type chrome://extensions/ in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on “Developer Mode” on the top right and look for the extension installed by Searchpause.com and anything that might be related to it. Copy their IDs (the string of letters), then remove them by clicking on the trash bin icon.
- Type Regedit in the Windows Start Menu and press Enter. Go in : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions and delete the entries corresponding to the suspicious IDs you recorded.
#3: Remove Searchpause.com From Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:support” in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on the “Refresh Firefox” button on the right and confirm.
#4 Remove Searchpause.com From Internet Explorer
- Open your Internet Explorer internet browser.
- Click on the Gear icon on the up right, then on manage add-ons.
- Go through the list disable any suspicious extensions.
#5 Remove any leftover parasitic processes
From the task manager:
- Use Ctrl + Shift + Esc and open the Task manager, then click on the Processes
- Go through the list of processes and look for unknown or otherwise suspicious entries.
- If you see anything suspicious right click on the process and shoes Open File Location, then terminate the process and delete any files you find in the directory.
WARNING! If the directory you open from this menu has no files inside of it it’s probably because the malware has hidden them. You need to reveal hidden files and folders in order to be able to see them. Click here if you don’t know how to do that.
From the start menu:
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type msconfig
- Click on the Startup tab.
This menu controls which programs are loaded when windows starts after a reboot. Disable anything that seems suspicious. Optionally you can also disable any program that you don’t need and also has a high impact on your startup time.
Feel free to write to us in the comment section with any questions that you may have. Also if we have been helpful to you please share this article to help us reach more people like you.