In this article we are going to try and help you remove Adfoc.us “Virus”. Our instructions cover all Windows versions as well as most browsers – Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer etc.
If your online experience is getting ruined by a constant stream of annoying ads in various forms, then you are at the right place. In the article below we are going to discuss the source of your current issues – Adfoc.us. It has been identified as Adware. As you have probably already noticed, Adfoc.us displays all these irritating ads. What’s even more disturbing is the fact that these ads aren’t ordinary. When you visit a webpage, there are always some pop-ups advertising something. However, you just close them and then nothing happens. On the contrary, in your case, the generated advertisements may be difficult to remove, may redirect you to possibly dangerous websites or may even follow you on the web. Some of them might even tend to reappear and an attempt on closing one of them might only cause the opening of another.
The information we have prepared for you will help you understand the nature of your problems and will offer ways to deal with them.
Adware and its functions, behavior and effects
The type of software that has been developed with the purpose of generating advertisements of different products to groups of people. Optimization is done as to display the ads according to the user’s personal search queries.
Even the title itself implies that – Adware is the combination between advertisement and software. This is what makes your system display so many advertising pop-up windows, banners and additional tabs on your browser. Please, note that any browser could be compromised as it doesn’t really matter whether you use Firefox, Chrome or Explorer. The aforementioned ads serve the marketing campaigns of all types of various products, webpages and services.
Is Adfoc.us a “virus”?
Many people believe that Adfoc.us is a virus. In fact this is not true. Adfoc.us is not a virus and should not be classified as such. It’s important to mention that Adware hasn’t been classified as malicious, as computer viruses are Ransomware have been. The typical versions of malware like viruses and ransomware are used by their developers to kidnap data, compromise it or to simply spy on you and your activities. On the contrary, Adware can only generate different ads. The majority of experts consider that irritating, but not threatening. Also, you should know that Adware cannot damage system by itself. It could just redirect you to suspicious advertising campaigns of probably useless products. Moreover, it may even redirect you to pages with possibly suspicious content, or offer you to download low-quality software. On the one hand, it is not a virus or malware itself. On the other hand, it really has some questionable features, possibly including the tracking of your surfing history and habitual activities on the Internet and selling that information to 3rd parties (most likely vendors who want to offer you their products). Many people may also consider the methods Adware usually exploits to enter your computer shady at best.
How do you get infected with Adware?
Typically, that happens in several ways. For instance, when you download and install a software bundle from the web. Another possible option is by clicking on an advertising banner/link/line on an already infected website.
If you wonder what a software bundle really is, here is the answer. It is most commonly a program that you download from the web free of charge. Sometimes such software is mixed together with other types of software such as Adware, which are installed stealthily on your machine and you might not need them. Software bundling is a completely legitimate practice that can accumulate enormous profits for whomever exploits and develops such advertisement software.
The aforementioned ones are the usual ways Adware enters your PC.
Is it possible to remove Adfoc.us and then successfully avoid it?
When it comes to prevention, you can easily avoid Adfoc.us by simply being careful with the places you download software from and with the method you use to install it. It is always recommended to use the “Manual/Customized” option of the installer no matter what program you are trying to integrate into your system. By doing so, you will have the chance to choose what from the bundle to install and what to ignore. Another useful piece of advice is to put your trust into a good pop-up blocker, efficient firewalls and an anti-virus program with a good reputation. Being protected with all of them, you won’t be likely to come across Adfoc.us any more.
The removal steps below that we have prepared for you may be very helpful if you want to uninstall Adfoc.us. We hope that our guide will show you the way to the complete and successful removal of that irritating software.
Remove Adfoc.us “Virus”
Many types of malware will restrict your access to their core files. It is highly recommended that you reboot your PC in safe mode before attempting to use this guide.
- To enable Safe Mode reboot you PC, then hit F8 repeatedly. When the corresponding menu opens please select Safe Mode with Networking.
WARNING! If you are using Windows 8,0 or later and/or your operating system is installed on a fast SSD drive this may fail to work. In this case click here to see how to start your PC in Safe Mode.
#1: Uninstall the malicious program from your control panel
Enter control panel to look for any suspicious programs, which may have installed on your PC. To do that:
- Navigate to your Desktop
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type appwiz.cpl
- Go through the list of programs and find Adfoc.us or anything else that may seem suspicious. Right-click on it and choose the uninstallation option
WARNING! Carefully read any confirmation messages that may be created in the process. Sometimes you may get offers to download more Adware applications and this can be linked to either the Yes or the No answer depending on the wording!
Go through the list of programs again and check online for any potentially unwanted programs. We have an article that covers this awesome free software that makes sure that your computer is free from bloatware and programs that you don’t need.
#2: Remove Adfoc.us From Chrome
Now we’ll remove the extensions that the malware has attached to your browser.
- Open your Google Chrome browser.
- Type chrome://extensions/ in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on “Developer Mode” on the top right and look for the extension installed by Adfoc.us and anything that might be related to it. Copy their IDs (the string of letters), then remove them by clicking on the trash bin icon.
- Type Regedit in the Windows Start Menu and press Enter. Go in : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions and delete the entries corresponding to the suspicious IDs you recorded.
#3: Remove Adfoc.us From Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:support” in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on the “Refresh Firefox” button on the right and confirm.
#4 Remove Adfoc.us From Internet Explorer
- Open your Internet Explorer internet browser.
- Click on the Gear icon on the up right, then on manage add-ons.
- Go through the list disable any suspicious extensions.
#5 Remove any leftover parasitic processes
From the task manager:
- Use Ctrl + Shift + Esc and open the Task manager, then click on the Processes
- Go through the list of processes and look for unknown or otherwise suspicious entries.
- If you see anything suspicious right click on the process and shoes Open File Location, then terminate the process and delete any files you find in the directory.
WARNING! If the directory you open from this menu has no files inside of it it’s probably because the malware has hidden them. You need to reveal hidden files and folders in order to be able to see them. Click here if you don’t know how to do that.
From the start menu:
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type msconfig
- Click on the Startup tab.
This menu controls which programs are loaded when windows starts after a reboot. Disable anything that seems suspicious. Optionally you can also disable any program that you don’t need and also has a high impact on your startup time.
Feel free to write to us in the comment section with any questions that you may have. Also if we have been helpful to you please share this article to help us reach more people like you.