Welcome to our Epicunitscan.info “Malware” removal guide. The following instructions will aid you in removing the unwanted software from your PC.
The article below discusses Epicunitscan.info “Malware”. This program has been identified as a typical browser hijacker – a piece of software that could change all your browsers’ settings and the way they look by putting different homepages and search engines. Also, the way they normally behave could be altered – there may start a great production of online ads like banners and pop-ups. Some redirecting is also among the possible results of the activities of the program. What’s more, no browser program could ever be safe, as Epicunitscan.info “Malware” may infect all of them – Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and Explorer.
Below you will find all the other corresponding details about this piece of software.
What could browser hijackers normally do to your computer? Are they harmful or not that dangerous?
The first characteristic of this kind of software that we should mention is their advertising nature. All programs of this sort have been developed with the main purpose to promote numerous kinds of software, programs, services, websites and search engines. The developers who create them get paid, usually a substantial amount of money, on the basis of the number of redirections and ads their browser hijackers are able to provoke. Another possible feature of these programs is that they could track your browsing activity, gather data about your search requests and after that – redirect you to only the pages you might be interested in or produce only the pop-ups you might be willing to click on. We should mention here that there is nothing illegal about that – as browser hijackers may only affect your browsers, they could also access this sort of databases. When it comes to the level of danger they present to you and your system, we can say that they are mostly harmless, but super irritating. Also, in the general case, you may get infected with such a program in a quite tricky way, so you may believe it is malicious. This controversial image of hijackers has earned them the reputation of potentially unwanted programs. This is in no way equal to virus-like programs, though.
What is the difference between a hijacker and a virus?
For example, in case we discuss Epicunitscan.info and a Ransomware-based program, we should say that the Ransomware is the most hazardous kind of a virus we could ever come across. Such a program can and will track down your essential data and hijack it, blocking you from accessing it via a special encryption key. What’s more, Ransomware viruses do NOT even need your indirect permission to encrypt your files and get installed on your machine – they always do that themselves. If you compare this review with the one of the typical hijackers above, you can see that a program like Epicunitscan.info could never be as harmful as the typical virus programs out there.
These relatively harmless programs could manipulate you into giving them your unknowing permission to get installed. That may happen if, for instance, Epicunitscan.info comes from a program bundle. Bundles are the most usual sources of ad-producing software like hijackers and Adware. They represent free mixtures of different software pieces (games/ apps/ interesting new programs) and you can download and use them for free. There comes the tricky part – you may want to use something from the inside of a bundle so badly that you may completely disregard the installation process. Many people do that and choose the quickest installation path – they go with the Automatic installation feature (also called Quick or Default) and let the whole content of the bundle get installed on their computers. As a result, they may get the Adware or the hijacker from the bundle as well and all the annoying processes they invoke could be started.
Our Advice when it comes to the installation of bundles
You should only install a bundle using either the Custom method in the installation wizard, or the Advanced option. Only these features could really make sure that you get to choose what to incorporate into your machine and what to leave behind. This also applies to the features of a certain piece of software you venture into installing. In case you use one of the aforementioned two installation options, you will be able to choose the features of the program you are installing and authorize or not the changes it could make to your system. In order to uninstall Epicunitscan.info, please, scroll down to our removal guide that will help you remove the annoying hijacker.
I – Uninstallation
- Use the Winkey+R keyboard combination, write Control Panel in the search field and hit enter.
- Go to Uninstall a program under Programs.
- Seek the unwanted software, select it and then click on Uninstall
- If you are unable to spot Epicunitscan.info, search for any unrecognized programs that you do not remember installing on your PC – the unwanted software might disguise itself by going under a different name.
II – Safe mode and revealing hidden files
III – Cleaning all your browsers
- Go to your browser’s icon, right-click on it and select Properties.
- Go to the Shortcut tab and in the Target make sure to delete anything written after “.exe”.
- Now, open your browser and follow the instructions below depending on whether you are using Chrome, Mozilla or IE.
- Chrome users:
- Go to your browser’s main menu located in the top-right corner of the screen and select Settings.
- Scroll down, click on Show Advanced Settings and then select Clear browsing data. Just to be sure, tick everything and clear the data.
- Now, in the left pane, go to Extensions and look through all extensions that are integrated within your browser. If you notice any suspicious add-on, disable it and then remove it.
- Firefox users:
- Similarly to Chrome, go to the main menu and select Add-ons and then Extensions.
- Remove any suspicious browser extensions that you may have even if they do not have the name Epicunitscan.info on them.
- IE users:
- Go to Tools and select Manage add-ons.
- Click on all add-on types from the left pane and check if there is anything suspicious in the right panel. In case you find anything shade, make sure to remove it.
IV – Removing Shady processes
- Go to your start menu, type Task Manager in the search field and from the results open View running processes with Task Manager.
- Thoroughly look through all processes. The name Epicunitscan.info might not be there, but if you notice any shady looking process that consumes high amounts of memory it might be ran by the unwanted program.
- If you spot the process ran by Epicunitscan.info, right-click on it, open its file location and delete everything in there. Then go back to the Task Manager and end the process.
V – DNS check
- In the start menu search box write View Network Connections and open the first result.
- Right-click on the network connection you are using and go to Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
- If Obtain DNS server addresses automatically is not checked, check it.
- Go to Advanced and select the DNS If there is anything in the DNS server addresses field, remove it and click OK.
- Click OK on the rest of the opened windows.