Welcome, reader, to our EasyDocMerge “Virus” uninstall guide. The following instructions will aid you in uninstalling the unwanted software from your PC.
The infections caused by browser hijackers are becoming more and more numerous at the present moment. In the article you are about to read we will focus on one specific browser hijacker – EasyDocMerge “Virus”. We will describe the way this program works, how it affects all your browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera or Explorer) and how it could result in a substitution of your browser homepage and default search engine; redirecting to a variety of unknown web addresses and the production of many online pop-up and banner ads.
What is a browser hijacker?
The programs defined as hijackers are promotion-oriented. Software developers create them in order to serve the needs of producers and providers, who need to advertise their products and services. There is nothing dangerous about these programs, nor is there anything illegal. Such software could only affect any browser you have installed on your PC. All the other programs and features of your system are safe in case of such an infection. Also, we have already mentioned the way EasyDocMerge might change your browsers – in terms of ad production, redirecting and setting new homepages and search engines. All that might be irritating but is relatively harmless as well.
Is there any connection between a browser hijacker and any virus?
Fortunately, no type of malware could be related to any version of a browser hijacker. There are considerable differences between these types of software. For instance, virus programs do not need any directly or indirectly stated approval to infect your PC. EasyDocMerge always needs your permission and below you will see how such programs could trick you into indirectly giving it. Another difference is that in the case of a browser-hijacker contamination only your browsers are affected and your system is not prevented from functioning properly. On the contrary, in the case of a virus infection your entire computer might be affected and this may result in a total system crash or the destruction of many important files of various sorts. Torrents, shareware and various web pages often contain Adware and hijackers and you may catch them from there. However, the most common sources of such annoying software are the infamous bundles. They represent mixtures of different programs and may often include ad-spreading software. Also, they might contain interesting games and new apps which the user may want or need.
How may such a program trick you into installing it on your PC?
We have already mentioned that such software is most commonly incorporated into program bundles. If you are really interested in the download and use of something that such a bundle contains, you have to be particularly careful while installing it. These bundles could be programmed to trick you into incorporating their entire content into your system thanks to the lack of patience you may experience. Remember that you may use something from the bundle without getting infected with EasyDocMerge. In order to do that, you have to take your time while installing this program and use one of the following features your installation wizard could contain – either the Advanced, or the Custom one. Only this way will you be able to choose what to install on your computer and what not to install. Also, remember to stay away from the following installation features: the Default, the Automatic, and the Quick one (or any other option promising easy and immediate installation of the bundle). If you avoid them, EasyDocMerge could never get your indirect permission to get installed on your PC.
Some other safety tips
As browser hijackers could also be included in other things on the web, you need to develop certain healthy surfing habits in order to avoid them more efficiently. The list of these habits includes:
- Getting the best anti-malware tool to inform you about possible contaminated web pages. By doing this, you will be able to stay away from viruses like Trojans and Ransomware as well.
- Simply choosing the places you visit online more carefully. Be picky when it comes to the web pages you tend to open and you will not regret that.
- Do not click on any of the ads you see online as they may lead to the generation of even more ads and you might end up infected with Adware, browser hijackers or other annoying (or even dangerous) programs.
EasyDocMerge “Virus” Uninstall
I – Uninstallation
- Use the Winkey+R keyboard combination, write Control Panel in the search field and hit enter.
- Go to Uninstall a program under Programs.
- Seek the unwanted software, select it and then click on Uninstall
- If you are unable to spot EasyDocMerge, search for any unrecognized programs that you do not remember installing on your PC – the unwanted software might disguise itself by going under a different name.
II – Safe mode and revealing hidden files
III – Cleaning all your browsers
- Go to your browser’s icon, right-click on it and select Properties.
- Go to the Shortcut tab and in the Target make sure to delete anything written after “.exe”.
- Now, open your browser and follow the instructions below depending on whether you are using Chrome, Mozilla or IE.
- Chrome users:
- Go to your browser’s main menu located in the top-right corner of the screen and select Settings.
- Scroll down, click on Show Advanced Settings and then select Clear browsing data. Just to be sure, tick everything and clear the data.
- Now, in the left pane, go to Extensions and look through all extensions that are integrated within your browser. If you notice any suspicious add-on, disable it and then remove it.
- Firefox users:
- Similarly to Chrome, go to the main menu and select Add-ons and then Extensions.
- Remove any suspicious browser extensions that you may have even if they do not have the name EasyDocMerge on them.
- IE users:
- Go to Tools and select Manage add-ons.
- Click on all add-on types from the left pane and check if there is anything suspicious in the right panel. In case you find anything shade, make sure to remove it.
IV – Removing Shady processes
- Go to your start menu, type Task Manager in the search field and from the results open View running processes with Task Manager.
- Thoroughly look through all processes. The name EasyDocMerge might not be there, but if you notice any shady looking process that consumes high amounts of memory it might be ran by the unwanted program.
- If you spot the process ran by EasyDocMerge, right-click on it, open its file location and delete everything in there. Then go back to the Task Manager and end the process.
V – DNS check
- In the start menu search box write View Network Connections and open the first result.
- Right-click on the network connection you are using and go to Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
- If Obtain DNS server addresses automatically is not checked, check it.
- Go to Advanced and select the DNS If there is anything in the DNS server addresses field, remove it and click OK.
- Click OK on the rest of the opened windows.