Welcome to our New Tab Search removal guide. The following instructions will aid you in removing the unwanted software from your PC.
As the number of the infections, caused by browser hijackers, seems to be constantly rising, we are going to describe at least one of their versions here. Below we are going to talk about New Tab Search, just a typical hijacker. In short, we can say that this program may:
- Influence all of your browser apps. It doesn’t really matter whether you use Explorer, Firefox, or Chrome, as none of them will be spared.
- Affect the aforementioned browsers, so that they could launch some really irritating ad campaigns, consisting of many pop-up ads, displayed while you are browsing.
- Make your browsers redirect you to many online locations, which could really raise some concerns.
- Program your apps to show some unfamiliar homepages and search engines, which may substitute your default ones – an activity that could greatly annoy you.
Browser Hijackers in details
In this paragraph, it is essential to state that all the existing hijackers might infect your browser apps. In fact, such programs have nothing to do with any virus forms. To be completely precise, all their activities are just advertisement-driven. As a result, all the possible alterations we have mentioned above could occur and irritate you. The truth is that the programmers behind this advertising software get huge payments for making their hijackers efficient marketing tools. By efficient, most of the producers understand more generated ads and more performed redirections. That’s why these programs behave in such a way.
The differences between New Tab Search and the most famous (and harmful) malware forms:
The usual suspects when it comes to virus activity- the Trojans or Ransomware versions, can and will perform some very dangerous activities once inside your system For instance, some of them may encrypt data, others – destroy it or delete it from your drives. Anything like that is impossible to happen because of New Tab Search. All it may at times do is review your last search requests made online, and adjust the ad production of ads to them. At first, such an activity might appear more or less intrusive. Nonetheless, such research may even end up being helpful to you. As a result, you will receive the best offers, which you may like, automatically. However, some users find such reviews to be rather shady, as they fear such ads may lead to malware-containing web pages. These suspicions are not proven, though.
How is it likely to catch New Tab Search (and other hijackers)
All hijackers may be found nearly anywhere on the web. They may be components of torrents; or websites. Such programs could get distributed via spam or malicious ads. However, the source, which most programmers use, is program bundling. The created bundles are many various programs mixed and spread together. Just note that to download a bundle is not the same as to cause an infection. Improperly installing it, however, is. The text below will explain how to install bundles in a prepared and sensible way.
Installing a bundle but leaving the hijacker inside it behind:
Just follow the instructions you can find below and you shouldn’t get infected by New Tab Search. When the wizard pops up, you will notice the available installation features. From the ones that you can see, search for the Advanced (also Customized) one. Go with it only it to complete the installation process. That is how you will get to control what enters your computer and what doesn’t. Ensure that you always ignore the other installation options. They may have many different names – Typical, Default, Automatic, Quick or Recommended. If you choose them, the consequences will not be good for your system; as by selecting them you have no other choice but to incorporate the entire bundle into your system.
How to get rid of this disturbing program
In case the infection has already taken place, we suggest that you follow the steps you can find inside our Removal Guide below.
How to prevent future hijacker contaminations
It’s crucial that you learn to practice smart surfing. This means that you should always stay away from all possible hijacker sources. What’s more, don’t be stingy when it comes to purchasing an anti-malware tool. On the contrary – invest more in the best program on the market. We promise that you will never regret it as it may block not only viruses but irritating programs like New Tab Search as well.
New Tab Search Removal
I – Uninstallation
- Use the Winkey+R keyboard combination, write Control Panel in the search field and hit enter.
- Go to Uninstall a program under Programs.
- Seek the unwanted software, select it and then click on Uninstall
- If you are unable to spot New Tab Search, search for any unrecognized programs that you do not remember installing on your PC – the unwanted software might disguise itself by going under a different name.
II – Safe mode and revealing hidden files
III – Cleaning all your browsers
- Go to your browser’s icon, right-click on it and select Properties.
- Go to the Shortcut tab and in the Target make sure to delete anything written after “.exe”.
- Now, open your browser and follow the instructions below depending on whether you are using Chrome, Mozilla or IE.
- Chrome users:
- Go to your browser’s main menu located in the top-right corner of the screen and select Settings.
- Scroll down, click on Show Advanced Settings and then select Clear browsing data. Just to be sure, tick everything and clear the data.
- Now, in the left pane, go to Extensions and look through all extensions that are integrated within your browser. If you notice any suspicious add-on, disable it and then remove it.
- Firefox users:
- Similarly to Chrome, go to the main menu and select Add-ons and then Extensions.
- Remove any suspicious browser extensions that you may have even if they do not have the name New Tab Search on them.
- IE users:
- Go to Tools and select Manage add-ons.
- Click on all add-on types from the left pane and check if there is anything suspicious in the right panel. In case you find anything shade, make sure to remove it.
IV – Removing Shady processes
- Go to your start menu, type Task Manager in the search field and from the results open View running processes with Task Manager.
- Thoroughly look through all processes. The name New Tab Search might not be there, but if you notice any shady looking process that consumes high amounts of memory it might be ran by the unwanted program.
- If you spot the process ran by New Tab Search, right-click on it, open its file location and delete everything in there. Then go back to the Task Manager and end the process.
V – DNS check
- In the start menu search box write View Network Connections and open the first result.
- Right-click on the network connection you are using and go to Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
- If Obtain DNS server addresses automatically is not checked, check it.
- Go to Advanced and select the DNS If there is anything in the DNS server addresses field, remove it and click OK.
- Click OK on the rest of the opened windows.