Malwarebytes’ Amti-Malware is a very popular security application, in the past few months MRG has received many requests to review this application and we have decided to do it.
We want to start by saying a few words about this product, Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware ,or as commonly referred to as MBAM, is a product specially designed to give out extra level of protection as it works right next to your primary Anti-Malware application.
As this product is a complementary Anti-Malware application, the reviewing process is slightly changed to show full potential of this program.
The reviewing process had 5 stages:
- We will attempt to download and run 15 malware samples using 15 malicious URL’s with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware running in the background.
- We will attempt to download and install 15 rogues applications using 15 URL’s which are used to distribute rogue applications with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware running in the background..
- We will run an On Demand scan on 10 samples of malware, these samples come from our Infected System Rescue test and are the ones that were missed by most Anti-Malware applications. These samples are missed, malicious, traces from the system (failed removal), EXE’s and .DLL’s form the system folder.
- Real Time Protection test where we will execute 15 samples of malware.
- Infected System Rescue test where we will infect the system with 10 samples of malware and will use Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware to clean the system.
Result of our reviewing process:
- 15 malicious URL’s – Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malwaresuccessfully blocked all 15 malicious URL’s (download nor installation was not possible).
- 15 rogue URL’s – Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware successfully blocked all 15 rogue URL’s (download nor installation was not possible).
- Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware detected 8/10 samples missed by other Anti-Malware applications.
- Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware blocked 13/15 samples when we executed them in real time.
- Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware removed all 10 samples of malware from the infected system, no harmful traces were found in active processes, system folder, temporary files, windows registry…
Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware is an extremely effective security application, it has many useful features one of which is IP blocking which works perfectly, real time protection is able to block samples which are not recognized by signature based detection (heuristic and IP). It showed us that it was more than capable of detecting, removing and blocking samples that are not being recognized by other security applications. The program is very simple to install and configure and we believe that even the lesser experienced users will not have any problems with configuration.
Overall, Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware is doing exactly what it was designed to do, it is offering extra level of protection working right next to your primary Anti-Malware application of choice, we wish to highlight its real time blocking and malware removal capabilities.