Welcome to our Background_Fault Virus removal guide. The following instructions will aid you in removing the unwanted software from your PC.
This page focuses on Background_Fault Virus – a version of a browser hijacker. The basic characteristic features of all the existing hijackers we can point out have been explained below:
- They may only infect and modify your browsers: Explorer, Opera or Chrome and Firefox.
- After getting infected by such software, your browsers may launch the broadcasting of a great number of online ads (like banners/boxes/ and/or pop-ups). And ultimately – such an intense generation of ads might occur every time you try to surf the Internet.
- One more possible result of such an infection are the potential redirecting processes, which your browser apps could launch. They may start loading web pages you had never intended to go to.
- Another probable consequence of the Background_Fault Virus infection is the possible alteration of your browser apps’ homepages and search engines. What you can expect is to see some definitely unfamiliar search engine/ homepage when you load your browsers.
In fact, the aforementioned characteristic features usually apply to all the hijackers you may encounter while browsing the web. This is generally what defines them as hijackers. Apart from the possible effects explained in the previous points, all hijackers are strictly advertising-oriented. Briefly speaking, this means the normal way they function is typically related to the reason why developers have been and are still creating them. Basically, the sole aim of any programmer is to earn more. On the other side are the manufacturers of goods and the service providers, who are more than willing to pay big amounts of money for the purpose of getting their products promoted in the best possible way. Their mutual needs and desires have brought the programs identified as hijackers to life.
Any possibly suspicious consequences that might result from Background_Fault Virus:
To be honest, there is basically NOTHING similar between any browser hijacker and any virus program. On the contrary, they normally have a number of differences. For example, what makes a version of Ransomware different from any hijacker is the ability of the Ransomware-based products to lock up predetermined files and render them all inaccessible. Totally on the contrary, Background_Fault Virus could never have any access to your data. Actually, any hijacker might simply access your browsers’ databases, gather the details about your current search requests, and broadcast to you only the pop-ups which might be related to these searches. Consequently, we can definitely say that hijackers are not among the malicious programs out there. However, they might be quite suspicious and undesired because of the unclear ways they may use to get to your PC, and because of the possible effects they might have on your browsers. All of these features have contributed to marking this kind of software as potentially unwanted.
Getting your system infected by Background_Fault Virus (or any other hijacker):
You might find this difficult to believe, but browser hijackers can never infect any PC on their own. On the other hand – they will need to ask you for your permission first and only after that can they become a component of your system. Nonetheless, this might happen in a quite suspicious way, as such software nearly never gets the direct approval from the affected users. Pretty much such a program normally depends on your naiveté, as well as on your impatience to help it get to your device. Precisely, the only legitimate method of distributing hijackers is by putting them inside bundles (free combos of games, apps and programs). In such a way, you will willingly download the bundle and probably impatiently install the whole of it, leaving your computer infected by an ad-producing program.
On what conditions could an infection occur?
Typically, an infection may follow if you download a bundle and install it by using the easiest installation features. Thus, our tip is to simply stay away from the unsafe steps such as the Default, Easy and Automatic, which a given wizard may offer you. However, if you would still want to use something from the bundle, but leave Background_Fault Virus out of the installation process, you will still be able to do that. Just learn to always go with the Manual or the Custom steps of the corresponding wizard. They will give you access to selecting exactly the program features that you need on your PC.
And as for the removal of this browser hijacker, you can use our removal guide below to help you with that process.
|Danger Level||Medium (nowhere near threats like Ransomware, but still a security risk)|
|Symptoms||Your browser apps could be affected and start producing ads, launch redirecting processes or change your homepages.|
|Distribution Method||The basic source is any software bundle. Other possible ones are shareware, torrents and infected web pages.|
Background_Fault Virus Removal
I – Safe mode and revealing hidden files
II – Uninstallation
- Use the Winkey+R keyboard combination, write Control Panel in the search field and hit enter.
- Go to Uninstall a program under Programs.
- Seek the unwanted software, select it and then click on Uninstall
If you are unable to spot Background_Fault Virus, search for any unrecognized programs that you do not remember installing on your PC – the unwanted software might disguise itself by going under a different name.
III – Cleaning all your browsers
- Go to your browser’s icon, right-click on it and select Properties.
- Go to the Shortcut tab and in the Target make sure to delete anything written after “.exe”.
- Now, open your browser and follow the instructions below depending on whether you are using Chrome, Mozilla or IE.
- Chrome users:
- Go to your browser’s main menu located in the top-right corner of the screen and select Settings.
- Scroll down, click on Show Advanced Settings and then select Clear browsing data. Just to be sure, tick everything and clear the data.
- Now, in the left pane, go to Extensions and look through all extensions that are integrated within your browser. If you notice any suspicious add-on, disable it and then remove it.
- Firefox users:
- Similarly to Chrome, go to the main menu and select Add-ons and then Extensions.
- Remove any suspicious browser extensions that you may have even if they do not have the name Background_Fault Virus on them.
- IE users:
- Go to Tools and select Manage add-ons.
- Click on all add-on types from the left pane and check if there is anything suspicious in the right panel. In case you find anything shade, make sure to remove it.
IV – Removing Shady processes
- Go to your start menu, type Task Manager in the search field and from the results open View running processes with Task Manager.
- Thoroughly look through all processes. The name Background_Fault Virus might not be there, but if you notice any shady looking process that consumes high amounts of memory it might be ran by the unwanted program.
- If you spot the process ran by Background_Fault Virus, right-click on it, open its file location and delete everything in there. Then go back to the Task Manager and end the process.
V – DNS check
- In the start menu search box write View Network Connections and open the first result.
- Right-click on the network connection you are using and go to Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
- If Obtain DNS server addresses automatically is not checked, check it.
- Go to Advanced and select the DNS If there is anything in the DNS server addresses field, remove it and click OK.
- Click OK on the rest of the opened windows.